North Korea fired two “short-range missiles” Thursday for the second time in less than a week, South Korean media reported.
South Korean Joint Chief of Staff (JCS) said Pyongyang launched “projectiles” from the northwestern area of Kusong in an easterly direction into the East Sea, according to the Yonhap news agency.
The North launched a barrage of projectiles into the East Sea last Saturday that drew sharp reaction from South Korea which demanded Pyongyang halt the escalating security situation on the Korean peninsula.
“Our military has strengthened surveillance and vigilance in case of a further launch from North Korea, and has maintained a full-fledged posture in close coordination with the United States,” South Korea’s JCS said in a statement to Yonhap.
The South Korean top military official said the “projectiles” were fired from the Sino-ri area, where the North has a base holding medium-range Nodong missiles.
South Korea’s presidential office said it is keeping a close eye on the current security situation.
Washington chose not to react to last week’s test firing by North Korea but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said it wanted dialogue with Pyongyang.
Talks between Pyongyang and Washington have been stalled since February when a second summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and U.S. President Donald Trump failed to reach an agreement.