ISIS claims deadly Damascus car bomb

The Islamic State group said it was behind a deadly car bombing in Damascus on Monday, in its first such claim since regime forces expelled the jihadists from the capital last year.

State media reported earlier that a civilian was killed when a car bomb exploded in the capital’s southern suburb of Qadam.

It was the latest in a spate of similar attacks to hit the Syrian capital in recent months, but the first to be claimed by ISIS since it was expelled from the city’s southern outskirts in May 2018.

Photos from state news agency SANA showed a white car charred by the explosion.

“One civilian was killed when an IED planted in a car went off,” it reported.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attack targeted a senior official of the National Defence Forces, a pro-regime militia.

The official’s driver died in the blast, according to the Britain-based monitor.