Northrop Grumman has chosen the major subcontractors who will help bid for the U.S. Air Force’s next nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles. However, the absence of Boeing is at least noteworthy.
It’s not a surprise. In July, Boeing said it would withdraw from the ICBM competition, whose conditions it called too favorable to Northrop. Then Boeing officials asked to join Northrop in a team bid, an overture that was rejected last week, they said.
On Monday morning, Northrop released the list of subcontractors for its bid on the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent, or GBSD, program — now likely to be the only bid the Air Force gets when the deadline arrives in December.
Just about every major defense company is on Northrop’s “nationwide team.” There’s Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, L3Harris Technologies, Collins Aerospace (United Technologies), Textron Systems, Aerojet Rocketdyne, Honeywell and Parsons. Northrop’s team also BRPH, Clark Construction and “hundreds of other small, medium and large businesses across the United States,” the company said.
In all, more than 10,000 people across those companies are estimated to work on the new ICBM, the company said in its statement.