Riots in Hong Kong – student shot with live round in critical condition

Hong Kong police have confirmed that a protester has been shot with a live round in Tsuen Wan. He was filmed bleeding profusely from the chest during clashes on Hoi Pa Street.

A video filmed by the University of Hong Kong Student Union’s Campus TV on Tuesday appeared to show the man being shot at close range with a pistol during clashes with several riot police.

The incident occurred during citywide unrest as the People’s Republic of China celebrated its 70th anniversary.

Oriental Daily reported that the victim is in a critical condition.

The protester was given an oxygen mask by paramedics at the scene and was later hospitalised.

Local media reported he was taken to Princess Margaret Hospital. He was filmed conscious for a short period, saying: “My chest really hurts.”

City-wide unrest

Tuesday afternoon marked the first time a person has been shot with a live round over the course of Hong Kong’s ongoing protests.

Officers also fired live warning rounds in Yau Ma Tei and Wong Tai Sin, although they do not appear to have injured any people.

As of 4:30pm, tear gas and other projectiles have been fired in six districts to disperse protesters: Wong Tai Sin, Tsuen Wan, Shatin, Tuen Mun, Tsim Sha Tsui and Admiralty.

On Hong Kong Island, protesters briefly marched further west after reaching the Civil Human Rights Front’s original destination in Central.

A heavy police presence at the China Liaison Office—Beijing’s office in Hong Kong—drove them back to Admiralty, where Harcourt Road was occupied.

After Molotov cocktails were thrown at police, the force deployed water cannon firing blue dye towards the protesters, and then tear gas.

Protesters also locked “hidden entrances” to Harcourt Road from the Central Government Offices—from which police emerged suddenly to make mass arrests during Sunday’s “anti-totalitarianism” protest.

The Sham Shui Po protest split to march both northwards towards Cheung Sha Wan, and southwards towards Nathan Road.

After protesters attacked police disembarking from a vehicle with bamboo sticks at the intersection between Nathan Road and Waterloo Road, an officer fired two live rounds as warning shots. Tear gas was later fired in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Around 4pm, the MTR shut down the entirety of the Tsuen Wan line as protests on the occasion of China’s National Day continued across Hong Kong.

The Hospital Authority says that as of 8pm, 51 people were injured today, including two in critical condition and two in serious condition.

The injured, 41 men and 10 women, are aged from 11 to 75.

A police source says more than 100 protesters have been arrested so far today.

There have been confrontations in 13 districts, including nine where tear gas was fired.

October 1 marked the first time since the severe clashes on August 31 that the rail operator has shut down an entire line.