Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami announced that a new version of ‘Damavand’ destroyer which sunk in the Caspian Sea in January 2018 after suffering damage during the stormy weather of Anzali Port in Northern Iran will be launched in the near future.
“Damavand destroyer is prepared and will join the Navy in the Caspian Sea soon,” General Hatami told reporters in Tehran on Monday.
He explained that Iranian experts have actually gone beyond overhauling the destroyer and built a new Damavand in a very shorter period of time than what was spent to manufacture the damaged warship.
Elsewhere, General Hatami underlined his country’s firm resolve to maintain and enhance its combat and defense power, and said, “Today, all missiles of the Islamic Republic of Iran enjoy precision-striking power, that is to say when a missile is fired, it hits exactly the center of the specified square.”
In relevant remarks last year, Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi underlined that the country’s experts had decreased the time needed for manufacturing destroyers to less than two years.
“Today, we enjoy the capacity to build destroyers in a timespan of less than two years and we are making efforts to reduce it to less than one year,” Rear Admiral Khanzadi said.