Qatar knew about Iran’s attacks in Gulf of Oman and did not warn US

Qatar’s regime had advance knowledge of Iran’s attacks on four ships in the Gulf of Oman in May and failed to warn the US, France and the United Kingdom, according to a Western intelligence report.

FoxNews.com first reported on Saturday about the eye-popping report and the implications for international security, since the vital waterway for trade connects the Strait of Hormuz to the Indian Ocean.

“Credible intelligence reports indicate that the IRGC-Quds Forces Naval unit is responsible for the Fujairah Port attacks, and the elements of civilian government of Iran, as well as the State of Qatar, were aware of the IRGC’s activities,” the report said.

The US sanctioned Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist organization.

A US Department of Defense spokesman told Fox News: “We do not discuss matters of intelligence.”

The allegation that Qatar endangered US-allied ships appears to be in contrast to the open anti-terrorism cooperation between the US and Qatar. Just last week the US Department of State hosted the third US-Qatar Counterterrorism Dialogue led by top experts in the field from Qatar.

The US has a military base in the UAE and its largest military facility in the Middle East – the Al Udeid military base – is located in Qatar.