The Turkish Foreign Ministry has warned today that the conflict in Libya is in danger of slipping into chaos and becoming a new Syria as Ankara seeks to speed up legislative procedures for sending troops to North Africa.
The internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) is trying to repel the attack on the forces of General Khalifa Haftar, backed by Russia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan.
“If Libya is converted to Syria today, then there will be the turn of other countries in the region,” Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said yesterday at a rally at the ruling AKP. “We need to do what is necessary to prevent the division of Libya and that is exactly what we are doing. It is with the legitimate government that we are negotiating,” he said, stressing the importance of the military and general security agreement signed by the two countries.
On Monday, Cavusoglu will meet with the leaders of the three opposition parties, and a draft of the government’s deployment of forces is expected to be discussed in parliament this week. Last week, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had announced his government’s intention to seek a parliamentary consensus to send military forces to Libya to defend the Government of National Accord.
Haftar’s forces, assisted by Russian and Sudanese fighters, and thanks to Chinese unmanned aircraft, have succeeded in achieving small military successes, advancing to the southern outskirts of the capital Tripoli.