CROATIA delays procurement of fighter jets due to COVID-19 emergency

Prime Minister Andrej Plenković said at the government’s meeting on Thursday that in the circumstances of the struggle to curb the coronavirus epidemic, his cabinet decided to put off the procurement of fighter jets for the time being. “At this moment this is the only logical and correct decision,” Plenković said.

Croatia will notify in writing all the countries that are participating in the tender process, of its decision to postpone the process of purchase of fighter jets. The government today also decided on the postponement of the CROIMAS international military air show that was due to have been held at the Zemunik air base near Zadar on 30 May.

Earlier on Thursday, Defence Minister Damir Krstičević informed reporters that the Ministry of Defence would put off the procurement of multi-role combat aircraft to demonstrate solidarity and to save money in a time of crisis due to the coronavirus. Krstičević told reporters ahead of a government session that talks about the procurement of combat jets would continue once the pandemic is over and the economic situation improves.

Krstičević added that there was a lot of room for making savings in the defence department, that analyses were underway, and that the Croatian Army would take into account solidarity, the situation and the military readiness levels.

SOURCE: TOTAL CROATIA NEWS